Terry not guiltyof racist offence
LONDON – Former England captain John Terry was today found not guilty of racially abusing fellow player Anton Ferdinand after a five day case which cast a spotlight on racism in soccer and could have had a huge impact on his career.
The 31-year-old Chelsea captain, who earns a reported 150,000 pounds ($231,100) a week, was in Westminster Magistrates’ Court to hear chief magistrate Howard Riddle read his verdict.
The high-profile case, focusing on foul language from both players during a Premier League game last October, triggered the resignation in February of England’s Italian manager Fabio Capello after the FA decided to strip Terry of the captain’s armband for Euro 2012.
Terry had denied committing a racially aggravated public order offence when he had an expletive-littered exchange with Ferdinand on the field of play when Chelsea visited QPR’s Loftus Road ground.
Although, in evidence, he admitted using the highly offensive words, he maintained he was sarcastically repeating what Ferdinand mistakenly thought he had said.
Dunn pulls out
of US squad
SFlbNEW YORK – Former U.S. world indoor 400 metres champion Debbie Dunn has withdrawn from the U.S. Olympic team and is being investigated by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency after an abnormal drug test, she said today.
“I have been informed by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that a sample I gave at the U.S. Olympic Trials contains an elevated testosterone/epitestosterone level,” Dunn said in a statement.
“While I work with USADA to resolve this matter, I am withdrawing from my relay pool position for the 2012 Olympic Games.” Dunn finished fourth in the 400 metres at the U.S. trials last month and was a member of the U.S. 4×400 meters relay pool announced this week by the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC). She won the 2010 world indoor 400m championship. USADA officials confirmed her test was being reviewed. Dunn’s decision comes just over 48 hours after head of the World Anti-Doping Agency John Fahey called on athletes using performing enhancing drugs to pull themselves out of the London Olympics.
Mickelson puts poor form behind
SFlbINVERNESS – Phil Mickelson made a mockery of his recent poor form when he fired a flawless eight-under-par 64 in the second round of Scottish Open at Castle Stuart today to move to within five shots of the lead.
Sweden’s Alexander Noren, buoyed by birthday flowers from his golfer girlfriend Emelie, who won a tournament in Norway on Monday, fired a second consecutive 66 to hold a one-shot advantage on 12-under 132 over Argentina Ricardo Gonzalez (64). Four-times major winner Mickelson (137) equaled Gonzalez’s round of the day, starting in ideal fashion when the American holed out from 60 yards for an eagle two at his first hole. Mickelson’s previous eight rounds had all been over par, a career first and not the sort of form the 42-year-old wanted heading into next week’s third major of the year at the British Open.
Merritt gives pre-Olympics showing
SFlbLONDON – Aries Merritt and Javier Culson equalled their world leads in the men’s 110m and 400m Hurdles on the first day of the Aviva London Grand Prix – Samsung Diamond League†today.
Renaud Lavillenie suffered his first defeat of the season, and Britain found another Olympic hopeful as Perri Shakes-Drayton shook up the world lists in the women’s 400m Hurdles with a big personal best.
But while it was an evening of shock and joy for Shakes-Drayton, there was big disappointment for China’s Liu Xiang, who pulled out of the 110m hurdles final with a back problem after winning his heat of the 110m Hurdles in the early evening rain.
Merritt showed Liu Xiang what he’ll have to beat in a few weeks’ time to regain his Olympic title as he powered to victory ahead of World champion Jason Richardson in 12.93 (+0.6), a meeting record and the fastest time ever seen in the UK.†
- Local News
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- GUYANA - Student remanded on UG bomb threat charges
- THE BAHAMAS - Together in grief
- Mobile App