SWANSEA – Former world champion Enzo Maccarinelli has been banned for six months after testing positive for a banned substance, UK Anti-Doping confirmed today.
The 31-year-old Welshman tested positive for methylhexaneamine after beating Shane McPhilbin to claim the British cruiserweight title in March.
Maccarinelli, whose WBO title reign was ended by David Haye in 2008, is banned from all sports until 18 October.
Methylhexaneamine is marketed as a dietary supplement.
“This is a timely reminder that, no matter what your sport, under the principle of strict liability athletes must exercise extreme caution over what they put into their body,” said UK Anti-Doping Chief Executive Andy Parkinson.
BBC gets broadcast rights until 2020
LONDON – British broadcaster BBC has been awarded the Olympic broadcasting rights for their territory until 2020, keeping the world’s biggest multi-sport event on free-to-air television for at least another eight years, the IOC said on Wednesday.
The BBC also acquired the broadcast rights across all media platforms, including internet and mobile, for the Summer Games of Rio de Janeiro 2016 and the Winter Olympics of Sochi 2014 and Pyeongchang 2018, the IOC said in a statement without providing any financial details of the deal.
The BBC, funded by a license fee levy on British households, plans to stream live coverage of every event from the London Games starting on July 27, something it has never done before.
The broadcaster has covered every Games since London last hosted the Olympics in 1948.
There had been speculation in recent months, fuelled by comments made by IOC President Jacques Rogge in June, that the rights for the Games from 2014 onwards could be sold to a subscription station such as BSkyB.
The BBC carries no advertising and is funded by a levy of 145.50 pounds ($230) taken from every household with a television.
Suarez blames Manchester United for ban
MONTEVIDEO – Liverpool striker Luis Suarez claims Manchester United’s “political power” resulted in his ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra last season.
Suarez was suspended for eight games and fined 40,000 over the October 2011 incident.
The Uruguay international says the period of his trial was traumatic for him and his family, but also believes Manchester United conspired against their fierce rivals Liverpool.
“It was so hard what happened to me,” Suarez told Uruguayan TV station RR Gol. “I don’t show my emotions in the field, you know, but outside I do it. I cried a lot with all the Evra stuff.
“The trial week was so complicated for me. My wife and I cried a lot during that week. That’s when I realised who were the people who really support me and who were the people who were with me because of their personal interest.
“People at the club are sure that it was a way that Man United used to put me out of the team and stop Liverpool. But in England, Man United has this political power, and you have to respect that and shut your mouth.
Yuvraj picked for provisional team
CHANDIGARH – Batsman Yuvraj Singh has been included in the list of 30 probable players, to play for India in the upcoming ICC World T20 in Sri Lanka.
If he is chosen, the tournament will mark Yuvraj’s return to world class cricket after recovering from a rare cancer called mediastinal seminoma.
The 30-year-old underwent three months of treatment in the US earlier this year. Yuvraj played his last international match in November 2011.
He was the man of the tournament in last year’s World Cup, helping India win the trophy for the first time since 1983.
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App