MONTEGO BAY — Female dancehall deejay Marion Lady Saw Hall was crowned Queen of the Dancehall last night at the 20th staging of Reggae Sumfest, held at the Catherine Hall Entertainment complex in Montego Bay.
It was a sweet moment for the deejay who years before was banned from the same stage. As she put it “I’ve had my bad days and I’ve had my good days, but what’s due to Caesar must go to him!”
In accepting her crown Lady Saw had words of respect for those who set the pace before her. “Big up all the females, sometimes we quarrel but we affi give them their dues,” she said hailing up fellow deejays such as Sister Nancy, Junie Ranks, Macka Diamond, Junie Starr and hailing Tanya Stephens as “one of the baddest ting!”
Earlier before she was crowned Lady Saw gave a killer performance started off with ‘tickets’ for some of the artistes.
This drove the crowd wild especially when she issued I-Octane’s ‘ticket’ “I-Octane hope Amber baby get yuh last name!”
She even had one for beau John John which had many whispering if she could be revealing something, as she chanted about his having a girl pregnant and speculating if it’s too soon to tell then mischievously patting her own tummy!
It was vintage Lady Saw after that. While she was daringly suggestive, she didn’t push the handle even after fans shouted “We’ve got your back!”
Her performance will go down as one of the best for Dancehall Night 2012. (Observer)
- VENEZUELA - Soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- Mobile App