The Olympic flame arrived at City Hall on the Queen’s rowbarge Gloriana after first weaving through the maze at Hampton Court Palace then being transported down the Thames — to herald a spectacular round of opening celebrations.
The flame’s 8,000 mile trip was carried by 8,000 torch bearers around the UK and ended with the lighting of the cauldron during the evening’s opening ceremony. Thousands of fans also gathered at other outdoor locations across the capital to watch the show on big screens.
- Local News
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- GUYANA - Student remanded on UG bomb threat charges
- THE BAHAMAS - Together in grief
- Mobile App