The Sanitation Service Authority has so far collected about 10,000 pounds of garbage in the aftermath of yesterday’s Soca Royale, which reportedly attracted close to 20,000 patrons at Bushy Park in St. Philip.
Public Relations Officer of the SSA Carl Padmore told Barbados TODAY this afternoon, that by midday yesterday, its workers had collected 200 bags of refuse, each weighing upwards of 25 pounds.
Padmore also said that, after resuming its clean up around five o’clock this morning, SSA workers had collected an additional 200 bags by midday today.
He lamented that despite having put down 200 cans, people were still disrespecting the authority’s workers by littering.
“We are still concerned about people seeing cans, but still dropping refuse on the ground. We see this as a disrespect to our workers, especially since people have been reminded about not littering by way of our jingle,” Padmore said.
He said the SSA would now have to look at other ways of reminding people and enforcing the health regulations.
The authority’s PRO explained that despite a record number of garbage collection cans at Bushy Park yesterday, people still threw their refuse all across the grounds.
“For the coming events, including the Foreday Mornin’, we have an increase in bags. We are ready for the increase in people and bands for Foreday,” Padmore assured.
He pointed out that the SSA was happy to partner with the National Cultural Foundation, and referred to its distribution of extra bags to NCF volunteers at Bushy Park as evidence of the collaboration.
Meanwhile, members of the public have been reminded that on Wednesday, Emancipation Day, which is a public holiday, the authority will not be collecting any garbage. (EJ)
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App