LONDON – Footballer Michel Morganella has been expelled from the London Olympics.
The Swiss right back was on the losing end of a 2-1 defeat to South Korea at the Olympics yesterday, and following the loss the Palermo defender had a meltdown on Twitter.
The 23-year-old felt provoked after receiving a torrent of abuse throughout the match against the Asians.
Morganella was booed throughout the match against the Koreans after he picked up an “injury” in a phantom challenge with Arsenal forward Park Chu Young.
After getting riled on the pitch, Morganella let rip on Twitter: I want to beat up all South Koreans! Bunch of mentally handicapped retards! (“Je les tous Defonce Cor?ens, allez vous tous Bruler, bande de trisos”
Unsurprisingly there was a big backlash to Morganella’s comments on the micro-blogging site, with many accusing the footballer of xenophobia and even racism.
Morganella later apologised.”I am sincerely sorry for the people of South Korea, for the players, but equally for the Swiss delegation and Swiss football in general. It’s clear that I’m accepting the consequences”.
Swiss Olympic team chief Gian Gilli said today Morganella was stripped of his Olympic accreditation ahead of Switzerland’s final group match against Mexico on Wednesday.
Gilli said he had tried to contact the head of the South Korean team in London to offer a personal explanation.
“We would like to apologise, especially to the South Korea National Olympic Committee and the South Korea Football Association for the behaviour of the player,” he said.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App