by Chanet Morris
This year’s Soca Titans, held at the Astroturf at the Wildey Gymnasium, was beyond a success.
The show featured performer after performer, wooing the crowd with song after song. It was pretty clear that most of the crowd came for Trini soca star Machel Montano and his entourage, but to say that Lil Rick and the Bajan artistes were not equally exceptional would be a lie.
The show started a bit slow with new artists such as Hollaback, who could not quite seem to get the audience going. However, when Lil Rick entered the stage and began to introduce singers like the Undadawg, King Bubba, DJ Bard, the Hypa Kids, Peter Ross and Shanta Prince, the Machel fans seemed to switch sides and enjoyed every second of the acts.
Mikey’s introduction threw the show into overdrive as the reigning Party Monarch and Sweet Soca Monarch showed the crowd how he won his two crowns. Mikey and Lil Rick then took to the stage to clear up “misunderstandings” about there being a feud between the two, and then proceeded to blow the crowd away with an outstanding rendition of We Loose and others selections.
It was undeniable that Machel Montano and the HD Band along with Trini artistes including Iwer George, Patrice Roberts and others stole the show. From the time the drummer’s sticks touched his drum, the crowd went wild, and such was the case for the entire performance. Whether it was the backup dancers leaving the crowd’s mouths on the floor, the fog machine or abundance of confetti, the booming bass beat or the outstanding vocals, the crowd revelled in the event, and were left screaming for more.
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- Mobile App