Spinach and saltfish
Requires: 1lb Baby spinach, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tomato, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 sprig thyme, 1 scallion, 1 medium onion, 1/2 cup salted cod bits, 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper, 1 scallion (green or spring onion)
Method: Chop the garlic, onion, scallion, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper. Make little bundles with the spinach leaves and cut into shreds about 1/4 inch thick.
Prepare the salted cod (I used boneless for easier work). All you have to do is place the salted cod in a pot with water, bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Then discard the water, rinse with new water and allow to cool. Then shred into bits.
Heat a saucepan on low heat, add the vegetable oil, then the salted cod bits. Allow this to cook for about 5 minutes. It will start to go brown on the edges and stick to the bottom of the pan, so scrape and move around. The idea is to build a base of flavour for the spinach.
Add the sliced onion, scallion, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper and garlic. Make sure the heat is on low, as we want these items to sweat down and further infuse the dish with flavour.
After 4-5 minutes, turn up the heat to medium, add the black pepper and the chopped spinach to the pot. Place the lid on the pot, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes remove the lid (remember to stir every 5 minutes as it cooks), turn up the heat to burn off any excess liquid which may still be there and add the chopped tomato to give it some colour. Taste for salt. Note that we didn’t put any salt in the dish as in most cases the residual salt from the salted cod bits will be enough to season the entire dish.
- Local News
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- GUYANA - Student remanded on UG bomb threat charges
- THE BAHAMAS - Together in grief
- Mobile App