PORT OF SPAIN – A of prayer has been declared as part of the arsenal to help this country deal with crime.
The decision was taken following a meeting yesterday between National Security Minister Jack Warner, heads of security divisions and heads of religious organisations at the Ministry’s Temple Court office in Port of Spain.
Following the meeting, president of the Inter-Religious Organisation Harrypersad Maharaj said it was agreed that a week of prayer will be held from August 19 — the day the Muslim community observes Eid-ul-Fitr – to August 26.
On August 26, the IRO will partner with the government to have a day of prayer at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Maharaj urged all members and non-members of the IRO, and also citizens in the privacy of their homes, to make more of an effort to pray during this period.
“I am sure with the positive thoughts and vibrations of prayer of everyone, we can certainly do something positive for our nation as we celebrate our 50th anniversary,” said Maharaj.
When questioned, Maharaj said religious leaders made recommendations to the security heads in their crime fight. He said concerns were also raised with respect to the confidentiality between members of the community and the police, and Acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams gave the assurance that the issue would be treated with seriousness.
Maharaj said leaders also advised on the need for more community policing and general improvement to the infrastructure of the environment in different areas.
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- GUYANA - Student remanded on UG bomb threat charges
- Mobile App