NASSAU — A man was shot to death last night, becoming the country’s 77th murder victim for the year.
Details were sketchy up to press time, but police said they responded to reports of gunshots shortly before 8 p.m. last night off East Street and Coconut Grove Avenue in the area known as the ‘Big Yard’.
The Nassau Guardian understands that the victim was shot at least six times in the upper body.
Superintendent Clayton Fernander said police did not have a motive and appealed to members of the public to come forward with any information.
The Nassau Guardian understands that the victim was 29-year-old Raymon Thompson.
Last year this time the murder count was 87.
Founder of Families Of All Murder Victims, Khandi Gibson, was on scene with a grieving family member.
Gibson said she got a call that someone was killed and immediately caught up with the family.
“I have to be the strength and support for them,” she said last night. “I know what they are going through.”
Gibson lost her two brothers and stepson to violent deaths, and formed FOAM last month to act as a support group for families who lost loved ones in similar fashion. (Nassau Guardian)
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App