Olympic women’s shot put champion Nadzeya Ostapchuk has been stripped of the gold medal she won at the London Games a week ago after testing positive for a banned anabolic steroid.
Two urine samples taken from the Belarussian before and after her win last Monday tested positive for metenolone, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said in a statement today, the day after the Games ended.
Belarus had been ordered to return Ostapchuk’s gold medal which would now be awarded to New Zealand’s Valerie Adams. Russian Evgeniia Kolodko would move up to silver and China’s Gong Lijiao would get bronze. (Reuters)
- VENEZUELA - Soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- Mobile App