NEW YORK – Third seed Maria Sharapova recovered to beat Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli and reach the semi-finals of the US Open today.
Play resumed today with the 2006 champion trailing 4-0 in the first set, which she proceeded to lose 6-3.
But Sharapova took the next two sets 6-3 6-4 to set up a last-four encounter against top seed Victoria Azarenka.
Italy’s Sara Errani beat compatriot Roberta Vinci 6-2 6-4 to set up a semi-final against either Serena Williams or Ana Ivanovic.
Three-time champion Williams was scheduled to play 12th seed Ivanovic tonight. Sharapova said: “The rain break gave me a few hours to think about things. I came out so flat yesterday. She’s so tough and she was on fire. I’m so happy to get back to the semi-finals.”
Not since her third-round loss to Flavia Pennetta at Flushing Meadows 12 months ago has Sharapova lost a three-set match, winning 12 out of 12 this season.
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- GUYANA - Student remanded on UG bomb threat charges
- THE BAHAMAS - Together in grief
- Mobile App