KINGSTON — Police were yesterday treating as very serious reports that a hit was taken out on a staff member of the Office of the Contractor General by a government contractor.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Glenmuir Hinds said investigations had been launched into the allegations, shortly after anxious OCG officials reported what they described as an attempt to murder the unnamed staff member.
The OCG official, who was investigating allegations of falsified documents in the re-registration process for government works contractors, escaped with his life because he had left the scene just before gunmen came for him.
“The contractor general contacted the police and the matter is being investigated [and] we dispatched investigators to record statements. I am not necessarily the person dealing with it, but every report that we get we treat it urgently,” DCP Hinds told the Jamaica Observer yesterday.
The deputy police commissioner, however, said he was “not in a position to give any details until the investigators have reported back to say where they are”.
In the meantime, the alleged incident has led to a call by Contractor General Greg Christie for a cessation to “reckless statements” about the Office of the Contractor General, which he says “are endangering the lives of hard-working members of staff”.
In a statement issued to the media yesterday, Christie lamented the fact that his staff member reportedly came close to losing his life at the hands of a government contractor while carrying out his duties.
“It should now be crystal-clear to all concerned that these reckless statements about the OCG are endangering the lives of the hard-working members of the OCG’s staff who are doing nothing more than the jobs that they have taken a solemn oath to do. These reckless statements must stop before someone’s life is snuffed out,” the contractor general said. (Observer)
Police probe 'hit' - by Barbados Today September 6, 2012 Article by
Barbados Today Published on
September 6, 2012
September 6, 2012