LONDON – Russia’s Paralympic athlete Denis Gulin snatched the gold medal in the men’s F11 triple jump final today.
The final, which has drawn plenty of interest due to the fact that the athletes are completely blind, was a tough contest but Gulin managed to stake his place at the top of the podium with a jump of 12.91m.
Li Duan of China finished just behind him with a season’s best jump of 12.75m, while Ruslan Katyshev of Ukraine set up a bronze-medal winning jump of 12.50m.
United States athlete Elexis Gillette just missed out on a medal spot by finishing in fourth position.
The difficulty of the event for the blind athletes was perhaps most starkly shown when Brazil’s Luciano Dos Santos Pereira knocked over an official while making his jump attempt.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App