BRADES — A Fly Montserrat plane forced the closure of the John Osborne Airport yesterday after “going off the side of the runway”.
A government statement said that no injuries had been reported and that “it was still too early to give a report” on what led to the incident.
There were seven people, including the pilot, onboard the plane that had taken off from neighbouring at 9:40 a.m.
A statement by the airline noted that the pilot of Flight 2109 had taken the necessary precautionary measures to ensure the safety of the seven passengers.
“I can report that the aircraft landed normally. Decelerated along the runway, but the pilot thought that he felt a minor vibration and as a precaution let the aircraft roll gently onto the grass,” said Fly Montserrat owner, Nigel Harris.
He said that the passengers had disembarked safely and there were “no injuries or damages to the aircraft”.
The government said that the airport would remain closed “until the aircraft can be moved for further investigation”.
The incident followed the fatal crash of a Fly Montserrat plane on October 7, soon after taking off from the V.C. Bird International airport in Antigua, killing three people.
The Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority said “significant quantities of water” had been found in the engine of the ill-fated plane.
On Monday, Harris sought to give the public an assurance regarding the safety of the airline, saying it is properly regulated by British-based regulators.
He said additional safety measures had been put in place and that passengers should continue to use Fly Montserrat.
“It’s an unfortunate terrible situation but we would hope that people would have the confidence in a United Kingdom regulated and monitored company…” (Antigua Observer)