Dilshan’s knock gives Sri Lanka win
PALLEKELE – Tillakaratne Dilshan’s century guided Sri Lanka to a seven-wicket win over New Zealand in the third One-Day international in Pallekele today.
Dilshan finished on 102 not out, his 14th ODI hundred, as the home side chased down a target of 197 with 11 balls to spare in a match eventually reduced to 33 overs per side by rain.
The Sri Lanka opener, who hit 12 fours and a six during his 95-ball effort, was supported by Angelo Mathews (54 not out) in an unbroken fourth-wicket stand of 127.
Dilshan played through the pain of a back injury suffered during the warm-up and afterwards said he was operating at only “75 per cent” fitness.
The result puts Sri Lanka 2-0 up with two to play in the five-match series, the opening game of which was washed out.
BJ Watling’s 96 not out (88 balls) had earlier seen New Zealand up to 188-6 in an innings that was twice halted by rain, a total that was then revised upwards by eight runs under the Duckworth-Lewis method.
Boxing licence for Flintoff criticised
LONDON – Experienced promoter Frank Maloney has slammed the British Boxing Board of Control’s decision to hand Andrew Flintoff a boxing licence.
Former England cricket star Flintoff will make his professional ring debut in Manchester on Friday, November 30.
Maloney, who manages current British heavyweight champion David Price, believes that seeing Flintoff compete in the ring is damaging to the sport’s credibility.
He told the Daily Mail: “They asked if we could be on the same bill but I would never be involved in promoting something like this. This is nonsense but in our sport it’s dangerous nonsense.
“They haven’t named an opponent for Flintoff yet but even if they find some guy who’s lost his first four pro fights, he will still be in against someone with amateur experience. It will be a terrible shock when he gets hit on the chin by a heavyweight.
“It is a disgrace they have given Flintoff a licence. I told the chairman, Charles Giles, that he should be sacked for approving this scandal.”
Former bowler battling cancer
DURBAN – Robin Jackman, the former England bowler and cricket commentator, has been diagnosed with cancer and faces seven weeks of radiotherapy. Jackman has already had two operations to remove malignant tumours from his vocal cords.
“It’s not the prettiest, but I got it early and I’m confident I’ll be fine. I won’t be in Australia, but I sure will be rooting for the Proteas,” Jackman, 67, said. He has been advised four weeks’ rest after the treatment and hopes to return to commentary early next year.
Jackman played four Tests and 15 ODIs for England, and was involved with Surrey for 16 seasons starting from 1966. Over the course of his lengthy domestic career, Jackman took more than 1400 first-class wickets and scored 5681 runs. He was born in India, grew up in England, but maintained close ties with South Africa, coaching and representing Rhodesia and Western Province over 11 seasons.