PORT OF SPAIN — When the President yesterday evening announced the Tobago House of Assembly‚elections are to be held on January 21, 2013, THA Chief Secretary Orville London already was locked in talks with party members over campaign plans.
A release from the Office of the President stated President George Maxwell Richards, after consultation with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and London, has fixed January 21 as the date of the elections. London, taking a break from his discussions, said the date did not come as any big surprise since when the THA was dissolved he knew it would come around that time.
He said the PNM in Tobago had been preparing for quite some time for the elections through interfacing with the public. He was confident the message they carried would resonate with the public and the results would be favourable for the PNM.
London said he was not too worried about the recent allegations of corruption made against the THA by the government. The Integrity Commission has launched an investigation into the THA and the Milshirv Ltd deal for the construction of an administrative complex on land at the Shirvan Road/Claude Noel Highway intersection.
London said the Tobago public was aware of the level of integrity the PNM‚had brought to the THA and he believed the truth would come out and would serve to strengthen its position even further.
“The Tobago public is becoming quite aware of the strategies being used by the People’s Partnership Government to bully and dehumanise the administration,” he added.
London said plans were now underway to mobilise supporters, select candidates and hold public meetings but he declined to say how much the PNM intended to spend on the election campaign. He said he had no idea of the cost but noted funding would come from the national party, supporters and fund-raising events. (Guardian)