With just two days left to the school term, the organiser of the 2013 Schools Choir Competition is calling on more secondary schools to send in their entries.
Anthony Sarge Sargeant told Barbados TODAY that previously the competition, which began in 2005 on a biennial basis, only featured primary schools but last year they had received four secondary school entries, and three eventually performed.
While the deadline for entries has been extended until Friday, December 14, Sargeant said the preliminaries would take place in February of next year over a three-day period, depending on the number of entries.
“The finals are scheduled for March 3. This exercise will assist in showcasing the children’s talent; give them opportunities for creative expression,” said the Ministry of Education official, who noted that after the National Independence Festival of Creative Arts, there were not many opportunities for schools to pit themselves against each other.
“After we started we realised it could not be an annual activity because of the number of things already on the school calendar. The first term is NIFCA, the second term athletics and the third term exams, so a biennial basis gives us time we need in the schedule,” he noted.
The opportunity also exists for more primary schools to enter as well to see if they can win the bragging rights secured by reigning primary champs, Sharon Primary. The Christ Church Foundation School won the last secondary schools competition. (LB)