I respond to your article quoting Senator Dr. Frances Chandler commenting on spending by the Barbados Tourism Authority on tourism promotion.
She is right. The spending should be audited. A friend of mine who lives in Los Angeles recently told me of hearing local radio ads for Barbados. How many tourists do such ads bring in.
The industry should collectively pay for tourism promotion through an industry-wide levy. It is not the job of Government to pay for commercial ads for the private sector.
Arguments about creating jobs, contributing to foreign reserves and payment of taxes are uneconomic and silly.
— Hal Austin
Recent Local News
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App