1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
3cm piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
1.5kg pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 3cm pieces
1/3 cup (70g) yellow split peas
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Coriander sprigs and soup sprinkles, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat and cook leek, garlic and 2 tsp salt, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add chilli, cinnamon, ginger and cumin and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add carrots, pumpkin and split peas. Stir to coat in onion mixture.
Add 1.5 litres water to saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 50 minutes or until split peas are soft.
Remove and discard cinnamon stick from soup. Add lemon juice then process or blend soup, in small batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to pan and reheat over medium heat. Serve topped with coriander sprigs and soup sprinkles.
Recent Local News
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App