The positive impact of the vision of Hugo Chavez beyond the shores of Venezuela was today highlighted by Leader of the Opposition, Mia Mottley.
In a statement issued this afternoon in recognition of the passing of the Venezuelan president, Mottley said:
“The Barbados Labour Party extends its deepest sympathy to the government and people of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela on the passing of President Hugo Chavez.
“President Chavez was a charismatic populist leader driven by a passion to lift ordinary Venezuelans out of poverty. He will long be remembered for the manner in which he used the rich natural endowments of his country to spread the benefits of education, housing, health care and economic enfranchisement to the most vulnerable and marginalised in his country.
“His vision of economic and social empowerment extended well beyond the shores of Venezuela, and many developing countries in the Caribbean, Latin America and further afield benefited substantially from cooperation programmes, and loan arrangements funded through facilities such as Petrocaribe.
“Hugo Chavez was a dynamic and influential figure who had a far-reaching impact on the political landscape of Latin America and the Caribbean. His loss will be deeply felt by all of his allies in the region.
“We pray that a spirit of courage, calm and national unity will guide the Venezuelan people as they face the difficult transition ahead.”
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App