LOS ANGELES — United States celebrities including Beyonce and Jay-Z have had private details of their finances posted online.
Hackers have also put up information, but not credit reports, about US Vice-President Joe Biden and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Los Angeles police say they are investigating how a police chief’s private details, including his address and a credit report, ended up online.
Police Commander Andrew Smith described the site as “creepy”.
He said: “People get mad at us, go on the Internet and try to find information about us, and post it all on one site.
“The best word I can use to describe it is creepy.”
He also confirmed that police would be investigating the posting of information about any celebrities living in Los Angeles.
Britney Spears, Ashton Kutcher and Kim Kardashian are all said to be affected.
Other affected people include Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian.
Some of the private financial information posted includes social security numbers, which could allow fraudsters to commit identity theft.
Actors Mel Gibson and Ashton Kutcher are also reported to have been targeted on the site.
Information about FBI Director Robert Mueller is thought to have been uploaded. The bureau says it is aware of the site but has not revealed whether they will be investigating.
More names were added throughout Monday, including Britney Spears and former presidential candidate Sarah Palin. (BBC)
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App