CHICAGO — What kind of chance did little Jonylah Watkins of Chicago really have?
When her mother was pregnant with her, the woman was shot in the leg, news reports say.
And Monday, just six months into her life, looking up at her dad as he changed her diaper in a minivan, Jonylah was shot multiple times. It was about 1 p.m. when paramedics rushed the child to Corner Children’s Hospital.
Police are looking for the killer, who jumped into a blue van after the shooting on the city’s South Side and drove away.
The shooter “was firing at the father, and exclusively at the father”, Chicago police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said.
He added that no one has come forward to help police.
“We don’t have one individual who’s stepping up to help us,” he said. “We don’t have cooperating witnesses.”
The father, Jonathan Watkins, is in serious condition at Northwestern Hospital, but he was able to give a brief phone interview to the Chicago Sun-Times.
“I was trying to help. I was trying to help. I was trying to help her,” he told a reporter shortly after learning that his baby had died from her wounds. “They told me she didn’t make it.”
Investigators are considering a variety of angles.
“We’re not dismissing this is any form as gang violence,” McCarthy told reporters yesterday.
Patricia McGowan, who lives near the scene, told NBC Chicago that she was at a salon when shots rang out.
“I just heard like a lot of shots and skid marks, so that’s when I ran to the corner,” she said. (CNN)
Recent Local News
- BREAKING NEWS - Police probe another unnatural death
- Ministry launches investigation into death at senior citizens home
- Update - Police release the name of Vauxhall victim
- Police probe another unnatural death in St Lucy
- Family mourns for Mario Peters
- Update: Police investigate homicide at senior citizens home
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App