A matriarch of Barbadian communities at home and in New York was laid to rest recently in North America.
Doreen Harper, affectionately known as “Granny”, was born Doreen Eudora Lorde on April 18, 1923 in St. Philip, Barbados to Samuel Ozby Cromwell Lorde and Maude Estelle Lorde. She was the second of six children including, Clesbert, Floretta, Cyrie, Keith and Roy.
Doreen attended Beulah Girls’ School, and was a member of Christian Methodist Church. She later joined the Pilgrim Holiness Church and was a devout follower and practitioner of the Christian faith.
She had three children, Melvy, Veston, and Cheryl and was a caring mother who did her best to raise her children to fear and serve the Lord. She was very active in the church and travelled throughout Barbados preaching and ministering to the sick. She continued to serve the Lord and people, lending herself to the needs of others, offering them both prayer and the Word of God.
Doreen migrated to the United States, after marrying Fitzgerald Harper, and joined Beulah Church of the Nazarene where she continued serving in ministry, fervently praying, teaching, preaching and encouraging others to seek the Lord.
She believed in studying the word of God and earned a bachelor’s degree in Christian Education from United Christian College under her mentor the late Dr. Irene Powell. This woman of God received full ordination credentials on May 20, 1990 at Evangel Temple in Brooklyn, New York. Shortly after Doreen co-founded Ebenezer Pentecostal Tabernacle, also in Brooklyn where she served as Senior Pastor for many years, and where many souls were brought into the Kingdom of God.
She was a lady who will not only be remembered for her commitment to the things of God, but for her style. Granny loved to dress up and coordinate her outfits with stylish hats. She strongly believed that she could not minister for the Lord with her head uncovered.
Granny had a unique gift, where she could without effort, transform any gathering into a soul-searching prayer meeting. Granny loved to dance, and she would often testify that when she got saved she merely, changed partners — Jesus became her new partner.
Doreen remained faithful to the Lord until her heavenly promotion on the evening of March 6, 2013.
Recent Local News
- Ministry launches investigation into death at senior citizens home
- Update - Police release the name of Vauxhall victim
- Police probe another unnatural death in St Lucy
- Family mourns for Mario Peters
- Update: Police investigate homicide at senior citizens home
- Police probe unnatural death in Christ Church
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App