Primary School athletes can smile broadly tonight.
That’s because Minister of Sports Stephen Lashley today announced that there would be a National Primary School Athletics Championships this year after all. There has been considerable conjecture over the staging of NAPSAC with the National Stadium being unavailable because of restorative work being done to the trackBut following a meeting with officials from NAPSAC, National Sports Council, Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Sports, Lashley said a decision had been made to hold the NAPSAC zonal meet on May 8, 9, 10, 13 and 14 at Kensington Oval. He also revealed that the opening ceremony for both the primary school netball and football competitions would be May 15 at the Netball Stadium.
Lashley said the NAPSAC semi-finals would be on May 21 and the finals on May 31 at Kensington Oval. However, he explained that this was provisional and that the final stages of NAPSAC would be held at the National Stadium if the ongoing rehabilitative work there was completed by that time.
He explained that it was important that the country’s primary school children got the opportunity to showcase their talents in the important annual event and noted that today’s announcement would certainly please them, as well parents, teachers and coaches.
The sports minister said from time to time a nation had to make decisions which were based on circumstances over which the country had no control. He added it was in such instances that a people got the opportunity to show their resilience.