The Barbados Hockey Federation kicked off its 2013 season last weekend with the successful completion of its inaugural Mixed 9-a-side Tournament at Maple Sports Club, Trents, St, James.
The tournament was part of the federation’s initiative to energise all members of the hockey playing and supporting fraternity and served as the first of many tournaments for the 2013 Season.
Seven of the affiliate clubs participated and these included the hosts CGI Maple, University of the West Indies Hockey Club, Combermere School, United Insurance Empire Club, Combermere School Old Scholars, Banks Sports Club/Barbados Defence Force and Avengers Hockey Club.
In a keenly contested final, Combermere School Old Scholars bested hosts CGI Maple 5 – 4 in penalties.With the limitations imposed by the severely dilapidated state of the Wildey, St. Michael AstroTurf, the BHF has decided for a second year, to suspend the regular league and instead, focus on a series of shorter tournaments across all formats of the game.
The second tournament is currently underway with the second Annual 2013 Indoor Hockey Classic being staged at the Garfield Sobers Gymnasium. This commenced on March 26, continued today, and will also be played on Saturday and on April 4. This will be followed by a 7-a-side National League that will kick off mid-April and will run into May.††
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App