Heavy rains in Argentina have claimed at least 35 lives in the city of La Plata, outside Buenos Aires, officials said Wednesday.
“In 12 hours it has rained what it normally rains in the entire month of April,” Santiago Martorelli, cabinet chief of the city, told the state-run Telam news agency. The rainfall in that period was 13 inches, he said.
“This storm is a catastrophe without precedent,” Martorelli said.
Some 2,200 residents of La Plata have evacuated due to the rain, officials said.
Earlier, eight storm-related deaths were reported in Buenos Aires, the capital.
Here, a man paddle boards through the flooded streets of Argentina’s capital, Buenos Aires yesterday. (CNN)
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App