DELHI – Delhi Daredevils’s woeful run in the Pepsi IPL 2013 continued with the Sunrisers Hyderabad defeating them by three wickets at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi today.
The win was set up for the Sunrisers by their bowlers who restricted Daredevils to just 114 before their batsmen huffed and puffed their way with Daredevils putting up an inspired fight.
Chasing a meagre 115, Sunrisers lost Akshath Reddy (1) to a spectacular run out by Shahbaz Nadeem. Kumar Sangakkara and Parthiv Patel got a partnership going as the two added 44 runs before Patel (19) was dismissed caught and bowled by Nadeem to give Daredevils their second wicket. Johan Botha then had Sangakara (28) edge to Virender Sehwag at slip before Nadeem had Cameron White (4) stumped.
Hanuma Vihari departed the next over to Morne Morkel bringing Daredevils back into the game. Morkel then removed Ashish Reddy (16). Irfan Pathan got the much needed wicket of Thisara Perera (2) holing out in the deep to reduce Sunrisers down to their last three wickets. However Amit Mishra (16 not out) played sensibly to guide his team closer to the target.
With Sunrisers needing 6 runs to win off the final over, Dale Steyn ran two off the first delivery and then punched the ball straight down the ground for a boundary to take his team home with four balls remaining.
Earlier Daredevils won the toss and chose to bat but found an intimidating Steyn as he bowled a first over wicket maiden, dismissing the in-form David Warner. Mahela Jayawardene was then given a reprieve the very next delivery as Patel failed to hold onto an edge. Daredevils were dealt a major blow when Ishant Sharma had Jayawardene (12) caught by Steyn at mid-on. He followed it up with the wicket of Sehwag (12) caught at slip the next delivery to leave Daredevils stuttering at 26 for 3.
The slide continued as Johan Botha (9) was caught at point off Anand Rajan. At the halfway stage Daredevils were at 46 for 4. Amit Mishra removed Manpreet Juneja (15) to further dent the Daredevils innings. Kedar Jadhav (30 not out) finally got a move on for Daredevils hitting Ishant Sharma for a four and a six in the 17th over. Perera then struck dismissing Pathan (23) and Morkel (0) in quick succession. Jadhav’s innings – the lone saving grace – ensured that Daredevils reached 114 for 8 in their 20 overs.††
Recent Local News
- Ministry launches investigation into death at senior citizens home
- Update - Police release the name of Vauxhall victim
- Police probe another unnatural death in St Lucy
- Family mourns for Mario Peters
- Update: Police investigate homicide at senior citizens home
- Police probe unnatural death in Christ Church
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App