The Variety Club of the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies is $1,615 stronger thanks to the Islamic Society there.
Today, President of the Islamic Society, Bibi Aziz, presented the cheque to the Executive Director of the club, Donnah Russell, in the lobby of the campus in the presence of other members.
In a brief statement, Aziz told a team from Barbados TODAY that the funds were raised from a recent Islamic Awareness Day held on the lawn of the campus.
Aziz explained that the awareness day highlighted the inventions that were created by the Islamic world that are still impacting. She pointed out that during the Golden Age of Islam, the civilisation spanned from Spain in southern Europe to China in the Far East.
In lauding the work being done by the Variety Club, Aziz argued that every child had a right to be part of society at large, and the Variety Club has gone the extra mile to build equipment that children could use. (NC)††
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App