Minister of Education, Ronald Jones, is calling for more preschools on the island.
Speaking at the blessing and ribbon cutting ceremony for Beginner’s Haven Preschool this evening in Marine Garden in Hastings, Christ Church, he congratulated the owners for their efforts.
However, he stated that though Government tried to facilitate preschoolers in their public nurseries they could not do enough for everybody.
“Day care centres you can find both in the public and the private sector dotted across Barbados but there are not large… In fact, you cannot have centres with three and four hundred children. By their very necessity they tend to be small, manageable [therefore] you need more of them. So you have added one small part of a very wide strategy to develop our little people in Barbados.
“[Government] cannot do enough because more and more are added each and everyday …†Therefore there are institutions such as yours that can also step in to create the kind of reservoir for all persons to be able to benefit from the … kind of experiences which are offered within these institutions.
“We have a major fracture in our country where a lot of our young people are badly damaged. They are damaged by neglect, they are damaged because persons did not care for them,” he added.
“At a very young age they were left to fend for themselves and their survival mechanisms were not always the best. Unless you are then���!Q)
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App