A pregnant Jamaican woman has been sentenced to 12 months at Her Majesty’s Prisons at Dodds after pleading guilty to smuggling drugs into Barbados.
Police Public Relations Officer, Inspector David Welch, reported this evening that Shanique Hyman, 20, appeared in court today charged with possession, possession with intent to supply, trafficking and importation, after arriving by air from Jamaica through Trinidad.
She was interviewed after clearing immigration here and referred to a medical facility where she passed out 17 packets of cannabis, weighing half a pound, which she had ingested.
Welch also reported that a 34-year-old Parris Gap, Westbury, St. Michael man has been charged with the murder of Antonio Harewood, 24, of Knights Land, Westbury.
The man, Pedro Deroy Ellis was charged today with the murder after the two men were said to have been involved in a dispute at 3rd Avenue Parris Gap, on Sunday, May 5 around 5:50 p.m., following which an altercation ensued and Harewood received a stab wound to the neck and later died.
Additionally, police early this morning also discovered the body of Marian Applewaithe, 77, formerly of Ashton Hall, St. Peter at Maycocks Bay, St. Lucy.
She was found by her son John Griffith around 6:20 a.m., after she was reported missing around 3:45 p.m. yesterday from a nursing home at Friendly Hall, St. Lucy, where she was a ward. Investigations into the cause of death are ongoing. (LB)
Recent Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App