Volleyball rivals Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago will play the opening match in the NORCECA second-round Group I four-team qualifiers of the 2014 FIVB Women’s World Championship.
Barbados and Trinidad are favourites to advance to the third round as they resume their quest at the University of the West Indies Sports and Physical Educational Centre this coming Saturday and Sunday.
Honduras and Anguilla are also competing in the four-team round-robin series, at the end of which the top two teams will contest the gold medal match, having qualified for the third round as finalists.
Last year in its first-round qualifying Group A series held in Suriname, T&T, led by captain Krystle Esdelle, powered past Guadeloupe to claim the gold medal at the Ismay Van Wilgen Sports Hall in Paramaribo.
Meanwhile, Barbados were second to host Jamaica in their E series played in Kingston after going under in the decider.
Cura√ao and St Lucia advanced to the third round as the gold medal finalist following the NORCECA second-round Group J staged in Willemstad last weekend.
The FIVB Women’s World Championship will be staged in Italy next year. (CMC)
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App