PORT OF SPAIN — Opposition leader Dr. Keith Rowley will be the first person to be interviewed by police assigned to probe his allegations of wrongdoing by top government officials in the e-mail scandal he raised in Parliament on Monday.
Although he did not want to confirm or deny that Rowley would be the first interviewee, Deputy Commissioner of Police Mervyn Richardson said yesterday it was likely an interview would take place soon.
During Parliament on Monday Rowley read from e-mails which he claimed were sent from addresses owned by several high-profile government officials, including Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, Works and Local Government Minister Suruj Rambachan and national security adviser to the PM Gary Griffith.
After Rowley noted the e-mails showed “high crime and conspiracy” on the Section 34 issue, Persad-Bissessar wrote to acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, ordering him to probe the matter. Williams subsequently appointed Richardson to head the investigation.
At yesterday’s police press briefing at the Police Administration Building, Port-of-Spain, Richardson said they had already started their investigation.
“Yes, the investigation is in full flight. A team has been assembled and is working as we speak.”
Richardson said he had met with the six-man investigative team before the briefing. The team comprises members of the Homicide Bureau and Organised Crime Narcotics and Firearms Bureau, he said.
“The team is progressing with the investigation under my direct supervision, so the investigation is on its way.” (Guardian)