PORT OF SPAIN — In the space of just 14 hours between Saturday afternoon and early yesterday morning, three more people lost their lives to gunmen in separate incidents in Belmont, Malabar and Laventille.
The deaths have carried the murder figure for the year so far to 148, according to an Express count.
Two of the victims have been identified as Paul Matthew Phillip, 43, and Clinton Francis, 30, while the other man remained unidentified up to late yesterday evening.
In the first incident, which took place around 1 p.m. on Saturday, investigators said Phillip, of Rhyner Street, Eastern Main Road, Laventille, was walking along Belle Eau Road, Belmont, when he was approached by two gunmen who opened fire on him.
Residents in the area, upon hearing the volley of shots, went to investigate and found Phillip lying at the side of the road with multiple gunshot wounds about the body.
Officers said they were not certain as to why Phillip was killed nor could they give a reason why he was in the Belmont area.
It was under similar circumstances that Francis, a construction worker, was killed on Saturday night.
He, too, was approached by two men who opened fire on him at La Croix Avenue, Malabar, around 9 p.m.
After shooting the father-of-two multiple times, the men were seen by residents escaping through a track in the area, said police.
Francis was also pronounced dead at the scene by district medical officer Dr. Laloo.
His family said Francis, of Coconut Drive, Malabar, was last seen alive around 2 p.m. on Saturday when he left home.
And in the third incident, which occurred around 5:15 a.m. yesterday, residents at Hackett Lane, Pashley Street, Laventille, reported hearing gunshots before finding the body of a man lying in a track with a single gunshot to the chest. (Express)