He sought security for his staff and himself when he took out a one million dollar health insurance policy from Sagicor, but never anticipated he would be the unfortunate one to have “maxed out” his coverage in just eight years.
Livingstone Carter’s bitter journey with the dreaded disease of cancer began on October 13, 2005 when he had to undergo emergency surgery for stomach cancer. Carter, 62, a consultant with an insurance brokerage firm, made this disclosure today while participating in a panel discussion staged by Sagicor under the theme “When Overseas Medical Treatment Becomes Necessary; Finding the Best Quality and Most Affordable Care.
He said that after undergoing emergency surgery for stomach cancer in 2005, the cancer spread to his liver.
“The future did not look bright for me. In fact, in September 2008, my doctor told me to speak to my parish priest in preparation for my imminent death,” Carter told his audience.
He then pointed out that over the past eight years he has exhausted the $1 million health insurance he had bought.
He explained that his financial situation had become so dire that he had to pursue any avenue to raise funds to cover his medical expenses. Carter, who is the father of three children, two girls and a boy, now has to use his own finances to pay for any medical services.
He disclosed that since February 2012, he has had six chemoembolisations at a cost of US $43,000 each and is scheduled to have two more procedures. Carter further stated that a new drug which carries a price tag of $33,000 if bought on the local market, had been recommended to him by his doctor.
He told a team from Barbados TODAY that his illness had impacted negatively on his family and close friends. The businessman commended Sagicor for the support the company has extended to him during his lengthy illness. (NC)