ST. JOHN’S — A lone, armed bandit stormed into the Antigua Commercial Bank Village Walk branch last night and robbed and shot one of its supervisors.
An eyewitness said the banking official sustained a gunshot injury to the right leg and was rushed to hospital in an ambulance.
When OBSERVER media visited the scene, police and army officers were in the area questioning individuals, some of whom were taken to a police station to give statements.
According to one eyewitness, the banking official stepped out of the bank shortly before 8 p.m. and put something into his car.
“When he was walking back into the bank, the guy jumped out the bushes, grabbed him and rushed into the bank. The two of them had a struggle and the masked man shot him (the bank employee),” the witness recounted.
The witness reported hearing two shots.
Patrons at a nearby restaurant said they, too, heard two consecutive explosions.
Two spent shells were recovered from the robbery scene at the ACB branch, while the ground near the entrance of the bank was covered in glass, which was reportedly shattered by at least one of the bullets.
Bank employees who were on the scene declined to comment, as did the police. (Antigua Observer)
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App