The National Assistance Board is undertaken a public awareness initiative for persons with disabilities.
Assistant Director of the National Assistance Board, Andrew Browne, made this disclosure during a recent interview with Barbados TODAY.
Browne explained that so far the board has staged three public awareness initiatives — the first at The St. Michael School; the second at Princess Margaret Secondary School; and the third last Saturday at the Alexandra School.
He pointed out that two more public sessions were scheduled for this year, one at the Lester Vaughan School and the final one at the Deighton Griffith Secondary.
Under the initiative, personnel from the NAB travel across the country informing Barbadians about the existence, role, function and mandate of the Vulnerable Persons Committee as it relates to persons with disabilities, the elderly without family support as well as persons who live in flood prone areas.
The assistant director said the office wanted to compile a data base of the targeted groups. Browne acknowledged though that in many instances during natural and man-made disasters people tended to look out for themselves.
During Saturday’s public awareness initiative, the board put on a skit titled Weathering the Storm to highlight the dangers people with disabilities encounter during the hurricane season.
Patrons were shown how to lift individuals confined to wheel chairs. Among the persons attending Saturday’s event were deputy Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Social Care, Constituency Empowerment, and Community Development, Donna Cadogan; chairman of the National Assistance Board, Cephus Sealy; Director of the National Assistance Board, Charyn Wilson; some board members and parliamentary representative for St. James North, Edmund Hinkson.
Browne said double amputees, members of District Emergency Organisations, and personnel from the Barbados Fire Service, Royal Barbados Police Force, Emergency Ambulance Service and the Rural and Urban Development Commissions also attended.