Hernandez charged with murder
BOSTON — Aaron Hernandez, a 23-year-old rising football star with the New England Patriots, was charged with murder and fired by the team today, another blot on the National Football League’s tightly protected image.
Hernandez was charged in a Massachusetts court with one count of murder and five weapons violations in the shooting death of a 27-year-old man. Michael Fee, a lawyer for the New England Patriots tight end, entered a plea of not guilty.
Hernandez had been questioned by investigators and his house searched since the body of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player for the Boston Bandits, was discovered on June 17 in an industrial park less than a mile from Hernandez’s house.
In court, prosecutors said that Lloyd was shot five times and that two passed through his body while he lay on the ground. Shortly before his death, Lloyd sent his last two text messages to his sister. One read “NFL” and the last read, “just so you know,” prosecutors said.
Tevez completes move
MILAN — Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has completed his 12 million move to Italian champions Juventus. The Argentina international, 29, arrived in Italy today for a medical and signed a three-year contract.
When the fee is combined with wages and bonuses due to Tevez in the final year of his contract, City could save about 27 million. The two clubs reached an agreement at a meeting in London on Tuesday.
Hundreds of Juventus fans turned up at Milan’s Malpensa airport to welcome the player. Tevez signed a five-year contract when he joined the Sky Blues in 2009 after previously playing for Manchester United.
City paid his advisors — who owned his contract – a reported 25.5m fee, although some have claimed the figure was 47m. He has made 148 appearances for the club, scoring 74 goals.
History made for J’ca
KINGSTON — President of the Professional Golf Association of Jamaica, Orville Marshall, has announced that history was made recently when a Jamaican qualified for the US Senior Open Championship, which will be held between July 11-14 at the Omaha Country Club in Nebraska, US.
Long-time professional golfer Peter Horrobin qualified for the US Senior Open Championship and will represent Jamaica at the championship in July.
According to Horrobin: “I am extremely happy to have qualified for the US Senior Open Championship and to be the first Jamaican to do so. I will do my best to represent my country and myself and to make everyone proud.”
Horrobin gained one of two qualifying spots after coming second with a score of 71 at the Legacy Golf and Tennis Club in Port Lucie, Florida, recently.