SCARBOROUGH — Barbados defeated Jamaica by six wickets to get their Regional Under 17 tournament off to a flying start at Louis Dor yesterday in Tobago. Jamaica won the toss and elected to bat first, but would later regret that decision.
With no runs on the board, Saad Ahmad was caught and bowled by Domique Drakes. Things would only get worst for the Jamaicans as they were reduced to 20 for 4. Denniel Griffith and Shahid Crooks shared in a 51-run partnership to get the hosts back up and running. Both batsmen top scored in the innings with 28.
However, once they were gone, no other batsman got to double figures. The chief destroyer for Barbados was Drakes (6-1-13-3) and Ian Boyce (5.3-1-29-3). Lee Germon-Gaskin took two wickets as Jamaica were all out for 108 in 38.3 overs
Barbados openers Gaskin and Leniko Boucher made a solid reply, putting on 31 runs for the first wicket. There was a little bit of a wobble as Ryan Burnett and Abhijam Mansingh gave the Bajans a scare. From 31 for 1, Barbados fell to 44 for 4. But Nicholas Kirton and Shemar Springer ensured Barbados the victory with an unbroken 65-run partnership.
Kirton ended on 18 not out while Springer made 35 not out. Burnett took 2 for 22 while Mansingh had 2 for 30. (windiescricket)
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App