The Bagatelle Metal Dump is closing down!
This is according to a statement from the Sanitation Service Authority (SSA), which is also advising residents that they will be notified soon about the dates of the pending closure, as there will be some work activity which may cause disturbance.
In a release, the SSA has estimated that the work for the dump’s closure will take six to eight months, during which time the site will be sanitised and capped. The site’s surroundings will then be beautified by staff of the National Conservation Commission.
“The Authority extends its sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused, and seeks your understanding as it takes the steps necessary to execute the closing plan,” the statement said.
As a result of the dump’s closure, B’s Recycling, located at Cane Garden, St. Thomas, will be relocated as soon as possible.
In May, Minister of the Environment and Drainage, Dr. Denis Lowe, told Parliament that provisions were under way for the resiting of recycling companies to Vaucluse, St. Thomas.
He added that such companies provided a number of benefits including the generating of foreign exchange and the management of the island’s solid waste process. (BGIS)
Recent Local News
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App