After two rounds of the 2013 Sagicor Open chess tournament, in the Under-12 section, six players sit atop the forty-strong player field.
These include current Under-10 national champion Pritika Kandamaran, current Under-12 national champion Kyle Sandiford, Chad King, Tauron Gibson, Jaden Franklyn, Tre Edwards, American Oden Calvert and Martinique player Rachel Pierre Leandre.
In rounds two King defeated Aaron Haynes, Sandiford won from Miguel Warner, Leandre beat Nathaniel Brathwaite, Oden defeated Michael Tannis, Franklyn beat Zakiyah Downes, Edwards won from Jordan Mapp, and Pritika won from Anaya Nosakhere in an all-girls clash, while Gibson defeated Azarius Johnson.
It is early days yet in the seven round tournament but these eight players out front will all favour their chances at being the Sagicor Under-12 champion. The locals will try to defend home turf but American Calvert and French player Pierre-Leandre look like the real deal and will no doubt provide stiff competition.
In the next round at the Harrison College hall venue the important matches will see Calvert against Franklyn, Gibson versus Kandamaran, Kings against Leandre and Sandiford against Edwards.
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- Mobile App