Former US President George H W Bush has shaved his head to show support for a boy who has leukaemia.
A Secret Service agent in his security detail has a two-year-old son who is losing his hair as a side-effect of treatment for the cancer.
The 89-year-old Republican lost his greying locks earlier this week at his coastal home in the state of Maine, said a spokesman yesterday.
Bush acted after he saw other agents in his detail had shaved their heads.
A Bush spokesman identified the toddler only as Patrick.
Bush and his wife, Barbara, lost their second child, four-year-old Robin, to leukaemia almost 60 years ago.
The security detail have launched a website to help pay for Patrick’s medical treatment.
Bush, whose son is former President George W Bush, was only himself released from hospital in January, two months after his admission for a bronchitis-related cough.
He was the 41st US president, and served one term in office, from 1989-1993. (BBC)
Recent Local News
- BREAKING NEWS - Police probe another unnatural death
- Ministry launches investigation into death at senior citizens home
- Update - Police release the name of Vauxhall victim
- Police probe another unnatural death in St Lucy
- Family mourns for Mario Peters
- Update: Police investigate homicide at senior citizens home
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App