Veteran band leader and designer, Gwyneth Squires has swept this year’s Grand Kadooment awards with her Guardian of Our Heritage band, winning nine of the 20 categories, including the coveted Robert Weekes Best Festival Designer.
Squires also took the top prizes for Large Band, Bridgetown World Heritage Award, Historical Award, Most Colourful, Best Individual Female, the Winston Jordan Flag Person of the Year, the George Dear Best Band on the Road Award and the BMA Brands of Barbados Award for Large Band.
Her accumulated winnings mean that the iconic band leader will receive more than $42,000.
Also in winners row were the Quincy Jones/Tasia Hinds combination. Their Youth Explosion Band — 3 Cheers For Barbados- Hip Hip – wwas first in BMA Brands of Barbados Award for Small Band, Presentation of the Year, Community Costume and Tradition category.
Trevor Chase’s Ooutraje Festival Band – Wings of the Sanctuary was victorious as the Most Colourful Small Band, Small Band of the Year and Best Individual Male.
Another veteran designer, Betty West came out top in the Topical Band category with her Source of Renewable Energy band. Chetwin Stewart’s Power X Four’s Barrel of Fun 310, was adjudged the Best Party Band. Richard Haynes’ Baje International’s Break Away band got the judges’ nod as the Fantasy Band of the Year. (EJ)
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App