PORT OF SPAIN — Detectives are investigating the death of a female detainee at the Immigration Detention Centre yesterday.
According to police reports, 42-year-old Indira Joseph, of Guyana, was found hanging inside a cell at the centre, located along the Eastern Main Road in Aripo, Arima, around 4.30 a.m. yesterday.
The centre operates only as a means of short-term detention of non-nationals, and will neither be facilitated as a prison nor correctional facility, nor does it intend to replace or act as one, the Ministry of Justice’s website states.
The centre, which is managed and operated by the Immigration Division, has a holding capacity of 110 and houses both male and female detainees, segregated according to sex. (Express)
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App