As a part of Barbados Light & Power Company’s ongoing effort to assist in the development of youth and sports, the company recently sponsored the Ellerton Juniors Cricket Club.
The Ellerton club seeks to give young people an avenue to develop their cricketing skills so as to prepare them to advance within the sport.
The company’s sponsorship assisted with the purchase of cricket shirts ahead of their journey to St. Lucia to participate in a tournament there that was organised by John Eugene, a representative of the country’s Ministry of Sports.
Light & Power’s Senior Generation Engineer, Wayne Prescod, who along with employees joined the team of eager cricketers at the airport to wish them success, said the sport still serves to instil a high degree of discipline, confidence and tenacity in our youth.
“We see it as a tool for development and we support the development of young people… We take our social responsibility mandate seriously and we are glad for opportunities such as this to assist whenever we can do so.”
Meanwhile, the club’s coach, Rodney Waltress, who thanked Light & Power and reported on the success of the tour said that it proved to be a great learning and growth experience for the team.
“Light & Power’s sponsorship helped us tremendously on this journey,” Waltress said. “Our boys felt proud to have the company’s support and that helped to lift their confidence. We are very grateful.”
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App