PORT OF SPAIN — There were reports yesterday that legendary calypsonian the Mighty Sparrow (Slinger Francisco) is at a New York hospital in serious condition.
A note on the Timeline of the Muzic Playerz DJ duo Facebook page stated that sources close to them informed them of his condition.
The Express was told by someone who knows Sparrow that he was “very depressed” last week.
Calls to Sparrow’s home and mobile phones in New York went unanswered, as well as calls to his home in Trinidad, where his wife, Margaret Francisco, spends much of her time.
General secretary of the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organisation, Wayne “Kassman” McDonald, told the Express they had not been informed that Sparrow was in hospital and could not confirm such.
Sparrow was supposed to be presented a lifetime achievement award last Thursday by the Trinidad and Tobago Consulate in New York.
The calypsonian did not attend the ceremony and instead sent his son, Richard Francisco, to receive the award on his behalf, with a message that he was unable to attend the function. (Express)
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App