Police are now in possession of two assault rifles and ammunition whose smuggling into the island was thwarted yesterday.
A statement today from police public relations officer Inspector David Welch stated: “In the morning of Wednesday, October 9, 2013, police intercepted two assault rifles and three magazines hidden inside the shell of a 40-inch television within a box.
“This operation was conducted at a courier service located in Christ Church. Investigations are currently ongoing into this find,” the statement said.
In other news today, police also reported that 20-year-old Renaco Basil Jalell Callendar had been arrested and charged with the murder of Patrick Irving Fatman Weekes, who was shot to death earlier this week while at Londy’s Bar in Wharton Gap, St Michael.
Callender, of Lot #1, Barbarees Gardens, Barbarees Hill, St Michael, has also been charged with two counts of serious bodily harm. He is to appear in court tomorrow.
Recent Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App