A police officer was among five people reportedly killed as heavy rains caused widespread damage throughout St. Lucia.
There are also unconfirmed reports of two deaths in the villages of Grace and Micoud, south here.
Media reports said that the policeman Calvin Louis was killed after a wall fell on him as he was trying to help people caught in the floods in the town of Vieux Fort. He was working as a Special Services Unit (SSU) officer in Vieux-Fort at the time of his death.
The heavy rains and strong winds have been blamed on the moisture and instability associated with a trough system that has affected several Caribbean countries.
The rains which began on Christmas Eve have resulted in electricity blackouts, landslides, damage to roads, bridges and homes across the island.
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App