It is one of the more popular watering holes in the south where hundreds, if not thousands of patrons, local and visitors alike, have sampled its fare.
However, this came to an abrupt end last night as fire gutted the popular Frankie’s Canteen and Bar located opposite the Grantley Adams International Airport.
“Around 11:20 p.m., the Control Room at headquarters received a call asking for assistance to extinguish a blaze at Frankie’s Bar,” Divisional Officer with the Barbados Fire Service, Errol Gaskin told Barbados TODAY shortly after a team arrived on the scene.
“Because of the proximity to the Airport Fire Station, we got clearance from the ATCO [Air Traffic Control Officer] to send out a water tender from the airport. There was a second tender from the Worthing station, and a third came from headquarters.”
In all nine active officers and two seniors were in the scene.
It is understood that the bar, while owned by Frank Barrow, was being leased out at the time.
The individual operating the business, who opted to remain anonymous, said when he arrived on the scene, “the shop was on fire. That is all I know.”
“We have to wait and see what is really going on now [in terms of the way forward], and we will make a decision after that. There isn’t much that I can say at this point,” he added.
Recent Local News
- Ministry launches investigation into death at senior citizens home
- Update - Police release the name of Vauxhall victim
- Police probe another unnatural death in St Lucy
- Family mourns for Mario Peters
- Update: Police investigate homicide at senior citizens home
- Police probe unnatural death in Christ Church
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App