A Jamaican man who brought two and a half pounds of cannabis into Barbados, hidden in his underwear, is behind bars after failing to pay a $30,000 fine while a Barbadian linked to trafficking the illegal drug will have three months to pay a similar fine.
Jeffrey Jermaine Thompson, 23, failed to pay the forthwith fine when he went before Chief Magistrate Pamela Beckles today, resulting in an 18-month sentence.
The fine was imposed for the offence of importation while Thompson was convicted, reprimanded and discharged for possession, possession with intent to supply and trafficking.
The Jamaican came into the island on Monday about 4:30 pm and was referred to Customs where a search of his luggage was conducted and a package of the illegal drugs found in the underwear he was wearing.
Sylvan Oscar Franklin, 42, of Drax Hall Hope, St George was subsequently arrested and charged for trafficking.
He has been given three months to pay $30,000 for that crime, failing which he will be imprisoned for 18 months.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App